Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Maker faire and crazy bikes

Whiskydrome
Whiskydrome death-defying wall of death fun.
Tricia convinced me that it would be a good idea to to, the day after the Davis Double, take BART from Bay Point to Millbrae then ride bikes to the San Mateo Fairgrounds to see the Maker Faire. I guess she was right, but my body didn't entirely agree that day. At least we got $5 off admission for riding there and parking in their very nice bike parking area.
Two Penny postcard
Two Penny is one of several huge and amazing pedal-powered machines we saw. ToddBarricklow.com

We went to see all the wild bicycle stuff, of which there was plenty. We also wanted to enjoy the sustainable gardening/farming exhibits, amazing sculpture, steam punk corner, and general wacky atmosphere. I've heard the event described as Burning Man for Geeks, and that may be close. It's very kid friendly and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I found it so crowded I had trouble making clean photos, so only a couple are mine. I did try to make a movie on Tricia's Flip camera, and proved in the process that I'm a still photographer at heart. Here's a Youtube link to the   video.

wooden bikes
Woodbikes.com featured these amazingly crafted wooden bikes. I don't know that I'd care to ride one, but I'd love to have it in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm turning off comment moderation for posts younger than 60 days, so your words will appear right quick.