Friday, February 24, 2023

Training on Zwift


I'm in a new land where going outside to ride is not going to be part of my world. At least not until it gets above freezing or stops snowing. So I bought a Wahoo computer trainer and signed up for Zwift.

I'm undertaking the Zwift "Back to Fitness" 13-week program.

It started with a test to see how strong I'm not (Functional Threshold Power, or FTP test.) That darn test was was very difficult, downright painful, and produced numbers indicating that, yep, I do indeed suck. And no, I'm not posting the numbers.

But the workouts themselves. though serious, are not killing me, which is a relief. Here's hoping they're at least replacing my daily bike commute if not doing more.

I'd been indoor riding doing nothing in particular and listening to audio books. These Zwift workouts are a different animal. I find I need to concentrate to keep my power in the right zone. And because the program has hills, and tells my trainer to make it harder to pedal I need to keep track of my cadence and gearing as well. So no audiobooks. 

I've never been a music and ride guy. I don't need the distraction or audio isolation on the road. But on the trainer I find it really helps. I like roadhouse/Bakersfield beat country, or maybe some rockin' Tom Petty. But so far the best has been the Mavricks. (Play them loud.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm turning off comment moderation for posts younger than 60 days, so your words will appear right quick.