Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Net loss, Strava

I hit a giant benchmark today. Though I weigh on my home digital scales, I can't help but think the balance-beam, doctor-style scales in my college locker room are the gold standard.

I usually set the big weight on 150 and slide the other over until it balances. Today, for the first time in forever, I had to start with the large weight on 100. This is big news (or should I say smaller news) for me as I was way  too far over 160 at the start of 2012. My doing without my much-enjoyed evening glass of wine, and forgoing many tasty morsels, seems to be paying off.

I'm still doing intervals. I'm hurting myself several times a week in addition to my 16 mile round-trip commute. That may be helping. I'm starting to think I'll be ready for the Solvang Double Century and I'm even contemplating (I have a notion that I'm working into an idea) doing some others. Feasibility testing will began shortly.

I've also been harassed by my cycling colleagues to sign onto Strava. I was reluctant because it, basically, confirms how slow I am, and then posts it in public so I can be suitably ridiculed (feel free to join in.) I have the free account, but the suffer-fest score feature almost has me ready to sign up for the paid version. Here's today's lunch interval ride using their embedded feature. I may be slow, but my heart rate was high...

2 comments:

  1. Nice. I lost a bunch of weight when I started bike commuting. I don't ride intervals at lunch, but I think I might start once the weather warms up. I ride a folding bike that I store under my desk. The bike is right there...I've got no excuse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be so ready for The Solvang Double.
    Where did you this beast of a cyclist come from and what did he do with Curtis?

    ReplyDelete

I'm turning off comment moderation for posts younger than 60 days, so your words will appear right quick.