Perhaps inspired by my friend Taxi777s new Fixed gear/SS he posted about on bikeForums.net, I dragged my oldie out of the garage and cleaned it up.
It was my almost-first real roadie. I got it used in 1976 and, like a kid, thought I could turn it into the bike I wish I had by changing parts one at a time as the years passed.
Here's the spec:
- Mid-70s Gitane Tour de FranceHad it painted and had braze on shifter and water bottle bosses added
- Fork had problems, so I added a new one, but Columbus instead of Reynolds steel, and a Shimano 600 headset
- New brakes (Old Weinmans were awful)
- New seatpost and seat
- New bars and stem ( I really don't know why)
- Campy high flange hub new wheels (36 spokes, dude!)
- Replaced bar end shifters with real carbon downtube shifters
- I just ordered new brake levers. What's on there now is an old Diacomp tandem lever that pulls both brakes (Don't ask why). I never liked it.
It really is a FrankenBike. It has no historic value. But It's kinda cool and I had a ton of miles on it in the olden days. Plus, I think I can't sell it for much, so I should have some fun, right?
But what to do? Whatever it is, it has to be cheap.
Commuter? But the downtube friction shifters are so....
- Tour bike? But then I'd want a lot of expensive changes....
- Single speed? I think all I need is a single speed BMX style freewheel.
- Fixie? But then don't I need a new rear wheel, or at least hub?
What should I do that's cheap and fun?