Sunday, August 26, 2007

Diablo: You are mine


Cycling to the summit of 3849-foot Mt. Diablo was one of my Summer 2007 goals. This Saturday I joined a group from Bikeforums.net to celebrate their new jerseys. Mine hadn't come in yet, but I rode with them anyway. We started at the South Gate and wound our way up. I hadn't been to the top since '87 or so. It's still steep, it still hurts, and the last 200 yards is abut the hardest cycling thing I've ever done. But the roads are a lot smoother than they used to be. It took me 1:35. Considering it seemed like three days and I didn't really have a time goal, just a survival goal, I'm reasonably happy. Check out the cool photos in the bikeforums thread on the ride.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Congratulations Curtis! Now you need to put Hamilton on your list!

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:32 PM

    Keep w/Diablo. Hamilton is a chore--and too many sports cars.Afterall,we've got homefield advantage over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:47 PM

    Hamilton is not bad, really. I've ridden both sides many times (most recently Sat.) and never had problems with vehicles. It's a tougher climb, because it's longer. Unlike Diablo, you have to work on the return. It would be a good next mountain goal.

    Or you could do Welch Creek off Calaveras as your next goal. It climbs 1800 feet in three miles. There are several sections that are like the end of Diablo with grades pushing 20%.

    Whatever you do, keep it fun Curtis!

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Who's the svelte stud at the top of Diablo? :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm turning off comment moderation for posts younger than 60 days, so your words will appear right quick.